Thursday, December 31, 2015

Epic Wargaming in 6mm

During the winter, I decided to create a number of 6mm Napoleonic armies. Most people start with the French, but I began with the Austrian army, because the Scale Creep was out of stock on a large part of the French line. I also chose the Hapsburgs because they were a perennial rival of the French and engaged them in numerous large battles over several decades.

I do my gaming in the garage using my 4 1/2' x 9' billiard table as a base. I position a 4' x 8' drywall sheet on top of the table and then placed by 2' x 4' terrain panels on the drywall. These insulation panels are ideal as a terrain base and are surprisingly inexpensive. I etch rivers into some panels and flock all of them with Woodland Scenic turf.

This winter I focused entirely on painting and basing armies, creating terrain, and researching battles for future wargaming scenarios. This research included a summary of each battle, chronological order of events, reinforcement schedule, entry points, and plausible "What If" situations. This is all in preparation for what I call my campaigning season during the summer.

I discovered in the middle of the summer, that I overestimated the amount of time it would take to paint up two large armies. To this point I have yet to fight a single battle. Instead, I have assiduously painted endless figures and constructed suitable and varied terrain, including hills, trees, and rivers. In addition, I have flocked a number of 2' x 4' foam insulation panels. Except for the rivers which are etched into the foam panels, I have made the terrain modular giving me flexibility in modeling battles.

Austrian Army Project
I've largely completed my Austrian Army project. The only units I have left to complete are the Landwehr, Grenzer, and Grenadier brigades. To this point, I have painted and based 22 battalions of line, 12 Hungarian, and 8 Grenadier infantry battalions with skirmish screen. I've also paint and based 3 Cuirassier, 3 Dragoon, and 6 Hussar regiments of cavalry. Additionally, I have completed 20 artillery models with gun crews, 4 limbers, and 4 caissons with riders. The number of figures total approximately 1350.

Once I have bought, painted, and based the Landwehr, Grenzer, and Grendier brigades, this will give me approximately two cormps.

I have placed an order with Baccus on 29 Sept, '15. It usually takes about four weeks to get delivery. This shipment contains the Landwehr, Grenzer, and Grenadier brigades and a mounted booster pack, which I expect will complete my Austrian project.

My ultimate goal is to have armies of at least three corps each. This will permit large-scale battles of sufficient scope to attempt to replicate the titanic struggles.

French Army Project
I have already begun a French Army. When I have a sufficient number of figures painted and based, I will post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment